Thursday 21 November 2013

"Oh 7 wins @mcauz56 O MY

Cauz: So much to talk about, so little time
The original plan for this column was to take a look back at a couple critical plays from each of the four games and write about how they directly affected the final outcome of each contest.That plan got scuttled by the time Miley Cyrus was hosting ‘Saturday Night Live’ with Montreal's 47-24 defeat of Edmonton.I will keep my thoughts on this two games brief. (Yes I know that is difficult for someone as wordy as I am but I promise to do my best).I think we can all agree that the final score between Edmonton and Montreal greatly flattered the home team. Five minutes into the fourth quarter the score was a staggering 40-3, I have no qualm with any Edmonton fan who decided to leave early. Video Calvillo: 'I Feel A Whole Lot Better' Meanwhile, on Friday night soon after Hamilton's 33-19 win over Toronto I got this tweet from @Mike_Ticats:"Oh 7 wins @mcauz56 O MY! and beat your Argos, haha sorry I don't get to gloat that much being a Ticat fan, so I take it when I can."I was reminded that I had Hamilton winning no more than five games this year. At the time of that prediction I expected Anthony Calvillo would have been healthy and that Winnipeg would have been competing in the East Division.That twitter account belongs to Mike Graham and my message to Mike is: Gloat away! I was way wrong and it is your right as a sports fan to rub it in my face and do a happy dance on Barton Street while wearing your Darren Flutie throwback jersey and extra tight jeans in honour of Danny McManus.Well at this point I guess it's time for an open letter to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.Dear Hamilton,I would like to offer an apology for all the jokes I have made at your expense this year. let me take this moment to commend you on getting yourselves back to .500 despite various distractions such as your nomadic-like schedule. Full marks to Kent Austin and his coaching staff for keeping the team focused. Yes the defence is second last in both yardage and points given up, but you have gotten better as the season has gone on and are winning games with a bend, don't break mentality. Yes, Burris is leading the league in interceptions, but he is also leading in yardage. And in a season where practically every starter has gone down with injuries you are a model of consistency and health.With your depth at talent and wide receiver and the emergence of C.J. Gable I have no doubt you will soon be labeled the "sneaky dangerous" team once the playoffs start.As for Hamilton's win over Toronto, I want to go back and look at two of the game’s most critical plays. Related Links Fan-tasy: Cauz vs. Canada More Matt Cauz columns Week 15 Ultimate Replay Fast forward to nearly midway through the fourth quarter when Toronto was following the same script that had been so successful for them this past month: Get down by a ton of points at the half only to rally late. Well after trailing by 16 points at the break, the Argonauts clawed back to 23-19 and their defence was looking at a 2nd and 13. Everyone was thinking the same thing: "Toronto has Hamilton right where they want them"... not this time.With Toronto only rushing three, Burris patiently waited until Bakari Grant got open in the middle of the field. Toronto's linebackers had not dropped back deep enough and Burris exploited this with a perfectly thrown pass over the defence and into the hands of Grant.The next play would seal the victory for the Tiger-Cats.The play was designed to go to the left. Burris had looked in that direction, planted and was set to throw. But with no one open he was flushed to his right and was being chased by four Argonaut defenders. Again, patience won the day as Burris easily spotted an open Grant who had beaten his man for a touchdown. As for Saskatchewan's important win over the Lions, let me say how much I enjoyed the return of (what at least looks like) a fully healthy Kory Sheets. I want to highlight one run in particular. It was early in the second quarter with the Lions up 3-0, and Sheets took off for a 21-yard gain, pulling off more moves than Michael Jackson in Thriller.I understand there will be runs of far greater consequence this season. Chad Simpson has had the longest run from scrimmage (75 yards) and we've seen Jon Cornish single handedly win a game. But this run may be my favourite of the year.What's that? You want me to describe it? All right well I will.The play was designed to be run right up the gut. Sheets immediately saw that BC had clogged up the middle, so he bounces it outside to his right. Defensive End Chris Wilson is the first guy with the chance for a tackle but Sheets eludes him. The problem is that Wilson has forced Sheets towards the sideline, he is basically hemmed in with three Lions bearing down on him. At this moment, he’s totally alone with no blocking help in sight. Hey, not the end of the world, you put your helmet down, you lose two yards and you live to fight on second down. Video Hall Excited to Contend For a Grey Cup However that is when Sheets decided to mess with the laws of science. Somehow he splits through the three defenders like a fat kid running roughshod in a game of Red-Rover. Sheets’ next trick is a nifty stutter step to his right,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, upping the tally of embarrassed Lions defensive players. At this point he turns on the jets as he turns up field for the 21-yard gain. If this was in a video game my buddy would shake his head, yank the game out and start blowing on it to make sure it wasn't broken. (Yes I know I dated myself on that reference trust me that ALWAYS worked with Nintendo). I counted at least five different Lions defenders who will be hanging their heads in shame when they go back to study the game film.Yes Cornish right now should be the odds on favourite to win league MOP, but Sheets means as much to his team as any player in the CFL. The last three weeks has seen Sheets out with injury for 11 of the 12 quarters of play, all loses. But of course it is more than just wins and losses, consider the impact Sheet's absence has had on Darian Durant. Durant is completing 62 per cent of his passes with an impressive TD/INT ratio of 28/8. However those last three games without Sheets saw Durant with as many interceptions (6) as touchdowns while completing just 56 per cent of his passes. A healthy Sheets opens up every facet of the Roughriders offence.Well as the old adage goes, behind every great quarterback there is a great running back.

No comments:

Post a Comment